Apple iPhone Wi-Fi Calling
On December 12, 2016, Telus released a carrier update to compatible Apple iPhone devices enabling Apple’s new Wi-Fi Calling feature. This feature allows customers to send or receive calls or text messages (SMS and MMS) via Wi-Fi when their compatible device has little or no cellular coverage. You can use Wi-Fi calling the same as you do on the cellular network, even if the person on the other end is not using Wi-Fi Calling.
Though there is no additional cost to enable Wi-Fi Calling on devices, the calls and messages sent using this feature are billed the same as if they were made over Telus’ cellular network (minutes used to make local and nationwide calls are deducted from the customer’s monthly voice allowance and any overage will be rated according to the rate plan). Standard long distance charges apply when using Wi-Fi Calling.
Wi-Fi Calling will only work within Canada at this time.
What you will need
- An Apple iPhone 6 or newer device (includes iPhone SE) with iOS 10.2 or newer installed.
- An active TELUS Wireless Postpaid rate plan with LTE SIM card.
- A Wi-Fi network allowing Voice over IP (VOIP) calling. Call quality does depend on the network and a minimum download speed of 0.5Mbps is recommended.
How to Activate the Feature
- Launch the Settings app.
- Select Phone.
- Select Wi-Fi calling then turn on
- You will need to read and accept the Wi-Fi Calling Terms and Conditions
- Enter your Emergency 911 Address.
This is important as this is the address that 911 dispatchers will use if they cannot get a location from the caller in an emergency.
For any questions or concerns stop by Cambridge Electronics in the Cornerstone Mall or call us at 780-998-9551
If you would like more info on phone and plan details click here, to go to the Telus website.